from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. The hinged cover protecting the keyboard of a piano.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. The hinged cover which protects the keyboard of a piano when not in use

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. the hinged protective covering that protects the keyboard of a piano when it is not being played


fall +‎ board (Wiktionary)


  • The piano's fallboard, which covers its keys, would be 5 / 8-inch thick.

    News & Record Article Feed

  • Spotlights dance down on 216 jewels of lead crystal, set in dazzling diamond patterns into the piano's black lid, sides, legs, fallboard and bench.

    News & Record Article Feed

  • The Scanner Bar rests on the piano's cheekblocks against the fallboard.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.