from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A palm tree having palmately divided, fanlike leaves.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any palm tree with fan-shaped or radiate leaves.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- Any palm tree having fan-shaped or radiate leaves; as the Chamærops humilis of Southern Europe; the species of Sabal and Thrinax in the West Indies, Florida, etc.; and especially the great talipot tree (Corypha umbraculifera) of Ceylon and Malaya. The leaves of the latter are often eighteen feet long and fourteen wide, and are used for umbrellas, tents, and roofs. When cut up, they are used for books and manuscripts.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Any palm having flabellate or fan-shaped leaves, in distinction from those with pinnate leaves.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. palm having palmate or fan-shaped leaves
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.