from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun An annual gentian (Gentianella amarella) having small, lilac to creamy white flowers with fringed corollas.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun The common felwort is Gentiana Amarella, also called
autumn gentian. The name is also applied to species of Swertia, a genus closely related to Gentiana.
- noun A name for species of gentian.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Bot.) A European herb (
Swertia perennis) of the Gentian family.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun botany A
European herb, Swertia perennis, of the gentianfamily.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun gentian of Europe and China having creamy white flowers with fringed corollas
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[Middle English *feldwort, from Old English feldwyrt : feld, field; see field + wyrt, wort; see wort.]
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Probably a corruption of fieldwort.
Sorry, no example sentences found.