from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A building having locker rooms and storage and training facilities, located at an athletic field.
- n. A building having one or more areas for different athletic events and usually grandstands for spectators.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A large building for indoor sports, particularly at colleges.
- n. A building for equipment storage and changing rooms (locker rooms) by an outdoor sports field.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a building for indoor sports
- n. an athletic facility where athletes prepare for sport
1895. Originally a side building by an outdoor sports field, later used for large buildings for indoor sports. (Wiktionary)
I want to thank the faculty and students here at Southern University for turning your field house and dorms into shelters for so many in the aftermath of Katrina.