from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A form or representation, such as a knot or an ice-skating maneuver, that has the shape of the numeral 8.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The shape consisting of two circles or ovals joined together at one point, resembling the numeral 8.
- v. To move in a figure eight pattern.
- v. To engage in mutual masturbation (meaning 2).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a knot having the shape of the numeral 8; tied in a rope that has been passed through a hole or pulley and that prevents the rope from coming loose
- n. a skating figure that carves an 8 in the ice
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Inactive, the sigils were mere pieces of mineral that could be battered to bits with impunity; empowered, the tiny wand called Destroyer was an appalling weapon, while the amazingly delicate twisted figure eight of the Unknown Potency was … who knew what?
The sun was so round and glossy and black that had it a figure eight on it, well, it would have validated a lot of long-standing philosophical and theological complaints, underlining once and for all just where we earthlings sit on the cosmic pool table.
He rolled once and lunged to his feet, Sohothin forming a fiery figure eight before him.
Swagger turned and strode out the gate, the Muramasa blade over his shoulder, the folds of his hakama jacket tied back by a figure eight of rope around his shoulder, his obi tight, his creases still sharp.