from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A layer of sand or gravel on the bottom of a reservoir or tank, used to filter water or sewage.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. a pond, the bottom of which is a filter composed of sand gravel.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A pond or tank having a false bottom covered with sand, and serving to filter river- or pond-waters.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. filter consisting of a layer of sand or gravel for filtering water


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.