from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A commissioned rank in the US Army, Air Force, and Marines that is above second lieutenant and below captain.
- noun One who holds this rank.
- noun A lieutenant in the US Navy or Coast Guard, responsible for maintaining the ship's exterior and for management of the ship's deck.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun The second lowest
rankof a commissioned officerin the United States Army, Air Force, or Marine Corps, ranking above a second lieutenantand below a captain. The rank of first lieutenant is equivalent to the naval rank of lieutenant junior grade.
- noun An equivalent rank in other military forces.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a commissioned officer in the Army or Air Force or Marines ranking above a 2nd lieutenant and below a captain
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.