from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun The senior noncommissioned officer of a US Army or Marine Corps unit, who is equivalent in rank to a master sergeant and performs administrative duties.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun US In the United States Army, a
non-commissioned officerranking above sergeant first classand below sergeant major; equal in rank to a master sergeantbut with greater command authority.
- noun US In the United States Marine Corps, a
non-commissioned officerranking above gunnery sergeantand below sergeant majoror master gunnery sergeant; equal in rank to a master sergeant, but with command rather than technical responsibilities.
- noun US In the United States Air Force, an appointment (not a rank) for the senior member of
enlistedpersonnel in a squadronor other unit. The appointment is usually held by a master sergeant.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a sergeant in the Army above the rank of staff sergeant and below master sergeant
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.