from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An officer in the navy or coast guard holding a rank higher than captain, such as rear admiral, vice admiral, or admiral.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A naval officer with the rank of rear admiral or above, such officers are entitled to fly a personal flag, especially on the flagship.
- n. In addition to naval officers of Navy and the Coast Guard, a general officer in the Army, Marines, or Air Force with the rank of brigadier general or higher.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the commander of a fleet or squadron; an admiral, or commodore.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A naval officer privileged to display a flag denoting his rank; an admiral, vice-admiral, rear-admiral, or commodore.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a senior naval officer above the rank of captain
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.