from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A dry-cell powered photographic apparatus that holds and electrically triggers a flashbulb.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun a lamp for providing intense momentary light to take a photograph.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun photography An electrically powered device used to trigger a flashbulb
  • noun photography Any similar unit used to generate repeatable flashes of light for photography

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun a lamp for providing momentary light to take a photograph


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.