from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various flies of the family Sarcophagidae whose larvae are parasitic in animal tissue or feed on carrion.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative form of flesh-fly.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. one of several species of flies whose larvæ or maggots feed upon flesh, as the bluebottle fly; -- called also meat fly, carrion fly, and blowfly. See Blowly.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The common name of a group of exclusively carnivorous dipterous insects, the blow-flies, such as those of the genus Sarcophaga.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. fly whose larvae feed on carrion or the flesh of living animals
Sorry, no etymologies found.