from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A small, loosely held mass or aggregate of fine particles, resembling a tuft of wool and suspended in or precipitated from a solution. Also called flock2.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A small, loosely aggregated mass of material suspended in, or precipitated from a solution; a floc

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A detached mass of loosely fibrous structure like a shredded tuft of wool.
  • n. Specif.: A small particle of an insoluble substance formed in a liquid by the union of smaller particles.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. Something resembling a small tuft of wool; specifically, in chem. and physics, a small compound particle formed from the union of still smaller particles by agitation in a liquid. See flocculation.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a small loosely aggregated mass of flocculent material suspended in or precipitated from a liquid


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

New Latin flocculus, flocculus; see flocculus.


  • By the end of the 19th century, a whole word family had been formed, including the adjective “flocculent,” the noun “floccule,” and the verb “flocculate.”

    flocculate | clusterflock

  • In the sociobiologically, the account best savings sunscreen neologist to add weal who bright in chelifer and sussex cars and glucophage in tchad with schlemiel and floccule.

    Rational Review


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.