from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A dense, compact cluster of small flowers that appear to be a single flower, as of a dandelion or clover.
  • noun A very dense grouping of flower buds, as in broccoli and cauliflower.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun In botany, a form of inflorescence consisting of a dense cluster of florets sessile upon the shortened summit of the axis, as in the Compositæ.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun botany A compact cluster of florets having the appearance of a single flower (as in the daisy family)

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun a shortened compact cluster of flowers so arranged that the whole gives the effect of a single flower as in clover or members of the family Compositae


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.