from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. An implement with a flat part (a mesh of metal or plastic) and a long handle, used to kill insects by striking them. The handle is typically about one foot long and the flat mesh at the end (usually of plastic) is about 5 inces square.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. an implement with a flat part (of mesh or plastic) and a long handle; used to kill insects


Sorry, no etymologies found.


  • It's a tricky concept to grasp, and each program we looked at takes a different approach. flyswat, a start-up in San Francisco (flyswat. com), does it by inserting yellow, rather than the usual blue, hyperlinks into your Web pages.

    The Web's Best Friends

  • But we'll give Dave an A for effort. Uses yellow, not blue, hyperlinks to offer you relevant news, infogurunet. com: A pop-up box with dictionary and encyclopedia referencesquiver. com: Tool bar of 'top sites' ranked by day-to-day popularity888-iNet-Now: Dial-a-Web-surfer

    The Web's Best Friends

  • Yes, we all lived in fear of the belt or flyswat or whatever weapon they used.

    Evil Children

  • Without putting too fine a point on it, Pest Control is a bug-splattering game – you're a disembodied flyswat and you have to kill a certain amount of nasties in an allotted timeframe.

    SLACKERJACK: Remote Control

  • "The woman started hitting them with a flyswat she was so angry," says Mr Sakaria.

    Anorak News


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.