from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A graphic representation of the structure of a food chain, depicted as a pyramid having a broad base formed by producers and tapering to a point formed by end consumers. Between successive levels, total biomass decreases as energy is lost from the system.
- n. A diagrammatic representation of recommended portions of basic food groups. Also called diet pyramid.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A pyramid shaped diagram in layers, where each layer represents a group of animals that feeds on the layer below.
- n. Any pyramidal diagram giving advice on how to eat healthily, particularly those widely publicized by the united states government.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (ecology) a hierarchy of food chains with the principal predator at the top; each level preys on the level below
A pyramid shaped diagram that represents a food related topic becomes known as a food pyramid (Wiktionary)