from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The art of raising plants at an earlier season than is normal, especially by using a hotbed
- n. An extension in the development time of an underexposed negative in order to bring out detail
- n. A technique used to prove the consistency of certain axioms in set theory
- v. Present participle of force.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The accomplishing of any purpose violently, precipitately, prematurely, or with unusual expedition.
- n. The art of raising plants, flowers, and fruits at an earlier season than the natural one, as in a hitbed or by the use of artificial heat.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In horticulture, the art or practice of raising plants by artificial heat, at a season earlier than the natural one.
- n. In gunnery, the act of making a bullet take the grooves of a rifle.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Tim may or may not be correct in claiming that Willis misused the term forcing, but what physical difference does it make?
Player Uno defended his title forcing Kevin Steen to tap to the Sharpshooter in 12: 21.
Change is a statute teeming with "shall" - a term forcing its targets to comply.
The term forcing is used to indicate that Earth’s radiative balance is being pushed away from its normal state.
The state was active in forcing irresponsible lending - I have pointed out the Community Reinvestment Act before - if this crisis started in the USA, it started with this piece of legislation from 1977 which forced banks to lend to poor credit risks. "innovative products" were aplauded by the regulators, who were instead focussing on investment advisors 'dilligence in form filling.
This feature is awesome in forcing colleges and universities to evaluate the benefits of the expensive programs and customs. shah8 says:
CO2 forcing is only one aspect of that, and the problems come in trying to understand what all the other factors are, how they actually work in practice, and building a total model that gets it right, essentially.
Sunspot activity has been historically quite high since the 1970s, and if this correlates to climate as much data suggest, a fair amount of the warming attributed to CO2 forcing is actually due to solar cycles.
Carter was a conspirator in forcing Anne Dunham and Father Obama to conceive in a evil conspiracy to make the spawn president 47 years later and then he used a Super Soaker to prod Father Obama back to Kenya.
It would make a big difference, not only in forcing the obstructionist party to work for their obstructionism, but also in that Senators would actually have to go on the voting record as supporting a filibuster, rather than being able to support one by default.