from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adverb At an earlier time; once.
from The Century Dictionary.
- First; first of all; beforehand.
- In time past; at a certain point or through an indefinite period in the past; of old; here-to-fore.
- In time just past; just now; as aforesaid.
- Synonyms Once, anciently; Formerly, Previously. Formerly means before the present time, and perhaps a considerable time before; previously, before some particular event or time, and generally up to that point: as, the rates of postage were formerly much higher than now; they were reduced in 1845, having previously been at an average of about 12½ cents.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adverb In time past, either in time immediately preceding or at any indefinite distance; of old; heretofore.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adverb at some
timein the past
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adverb at a previous time
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
former + -ly
Sorry, no example sentences found.