from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A cylinder of wood or brass with a recess in the end fitting the end of the fuse, used with a fuse-mallet in driving wooden fuses into shells when loading.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


  • Of a gun-detachment there are two men who cannot do their work accurately in gas-helmets -- one of these is the layer and the other is the fuse-setter.

    The Glory of the Trenches


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.