from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various small, mosquitolike flies of the family Cecidomyiidae, having larvae that cause the formation of galls in plants.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any insect of the Cecidomyiidae family, whose larvae damage crops and other plants, creating galls on the stems and other fleshy parts.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. any small dipterous insect that produces galls.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A gall-gnat. See Gallicolæ, 2.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. fragile mosquito-like flies that produce galls on plants
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.