Help Wordnik hunt for a million missing words by backing our Kickstarter!


from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. The act of inserting chips of stone or flint into the joints of rubblework while the mortar is wet. Also called garreting, garretting.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


  • In order to strengthen the mortar used in Sussex and Surrey houses and elsewhere, the process of "galleting" or "garreting" was adopted.

    Vanishing England


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.