from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The frame of a gallows.
- n. The frame by which the beam of a beam-engine is supported.
- n. In mining, the structure erected over a shaft to support the pulleys and steady the cage.
- n. Called in the Pennsylvania anthracite region the head-frame.
- n. Nautical, same as gallows-bitts.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
"Exactly at six o'clock, I shall see a figure come out on the roof of the mission and stand in front of the old gallows-frame on which hang eight chimes that were carried in on mules from the City of Mexico when