from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A word that has come into a dictionary, grammar, or other scholarly work as a result of a misreading or misinterpretation, as by mistaking a typographical error for an actual word.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun A fictitious or erroneous word, originally meaningless, that has been published in a dictionary or similarly authoritative reference book, or has been listed as genuine, generally as the result of misinterpretation or a typographical error.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun a word form that has entered the language through the perpetuation of an error


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.