from The Century Dictionary.
- noun The bisexual or diœcious condition.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun Separation of the sexes in different individuals; -- opposed to
- noun In ontogony, differentiation of male and female individuals from embryos having the same rudimentary sexual organs.
- noun In phylogeny, the evolution of distinct sexes in species previously hermaphrodite or sexless.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun biology The situation in which the individuals of a
speciesare of one of two distinct sexes, and retain that sexuality throughout their lives
Sorry, no etymologies found.
It is clear from comparative anatomy that hermaphrodism -- the combination of both kinds of sexual cells in one individual -- is the earliest form of sexual differentiation; the separation of the sexes (gonochorism) was