from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The situation in which the individuals of a species are of one of two distinct sexes, and retain that sexuality throughout their lives
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Separation of the sexes in different individuals; -- opposed to hermaphroditism.
- n. In ontogony, differentiation of male and female individuals from embryos having the same rudimentary sexual organs.
- n. In phylogeny, the evolution of distinct sexes in species previously hermaphrodite or sexless.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The bisexual or diœcious condition.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
It is clear from comparative anatomy that hermaphrodism -- the combination of both kinds of sexual cells in one individual -- is the earliest form of sexual differentiation; the separation of the sexes (gonochorism) was