from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A highly respected elderly or middle-aged woman.
- noun A respected woman having extensive experience in her field.
- noun A building or institution regarded as noteworthy on account of its age and historic prominence.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun A woman who is socially
prominent, respected, and experienced, especially one who is haughtyand advanced in age.
- noun A woman who is
accomplished, influential, and a seniorfigure in a particular field.
- noun figuratively, by extension A well-known, very highly regarded
institution, structure, or large conveyance, such as a hotel or ship.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a middle-aged or elderly woman who is stylish and highly respected
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[French : grande, great + dame, lady.]
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Loan term from French.
Sorry, no example sentences found.