Help support Wordnik by adopting your favorite word!


from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. a solid wave of water coming aboard the deck of a ship

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • adj. a wave that breaks in a solid mass on a vessel's deck.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


  • Sophie nudged Hap with her elbow and pointed to the starboard railing, where Hameron leaned over, sending a jet of half-digested food into the green sea.

    End of Time

  • BECK: Did you see the story about China and the green sea, where they ` re going to have the Olympics and they ` re going out.

    CNN Transcript Jul 2, 2008

  • We rode a small six-seater boat out to where the brown river emptied into the green sea.

    The Worst Years of Your Life

  • In the water large white koi flit in the dappled beams of sunlight under large lily pads in a calm green sea.

    Review of the Day: Wolf! Wolf!

  • Thrice the great cry rings rippling through the gray air, and over the green sea, and over the far-flooded shell-reefs, where the huge white flashes are,--sheet-lightning of breakers,--and over the weird wash of corpses coming in.

    Archive 2005-08-01

  • Making his way to the boathouse, Cork felt as if he were wading into a deep, green sea.

    Blood Hollow

  • Nothing was visible but the emerald canopy of the jungle and the tips of a few nearby peaks, leaving him with the unpleasant feeling of being trapped on a rocky island, suspended between gray mist and green sea.


  • CHAPTER ELEVEN THE DRESS was of chiffon, lovely and flowing as shadows trapped in green sea.

    A Girl Possessed

  • She sigh'd, she look'd up through the clear green sea.

    Forsaken Merman

  • It was the luncheon hour, not many people about; steamer cutting through a soft green sea.

    A Collection of Stories, Reviews and Essays


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.