from The Century Dictionary.
- Of or pertaining to the lap or bosom.
- Interior; pertaining to the internal affairs of a corporation or society, or confined to its members.
- noun A bosom friend; a confidant.
- noun One who is receiving nurture or education; specifically, a resident at a university.
- noun Eccles., a piece of cloth, originally a towel of fine linen, later a piece of silk or damask and often adorned with gold or silver lace, placed on the lap of a bishop, during mass or ordination, to protect his vestments from the consecrated oil. A similar vestment used by the Pope is called a subcinctorium.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective rare Of or pertaining to the lap or bosom.
- noun obsolete A bosom friend.
- noun (Ecol.) A cloth, often adorned with gold or silver lace, placed on the bishop's lap while he sits in celebrating mass, or in ordaining priests.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective Of or pertaining to the
- noun A decorated
clothplaced on a bishop's lap whilst celebrating mass or ordaining priests
- noun obsolete A
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.