from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun The rope along the bottom of a trawl-net.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


  • The mouth of this apparatus is kept open on its flat side by means of a pole some ten or twelve feet long, termed the ` trawl-beam, 'which floats uppermost when the net is down; while the lower side is weighted with a thick heavy piece of hawser styled the ` ground-rope,' around which the meshes of the net are woven.

    Bob Strong's Holidays Adrift in the Channel


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.