from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Government by women.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun Government by a woman or by women; the rule of women. Formerly also written
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun Government by a woman.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun politics A government ruled by a
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a political system governed by a woman
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
gyn- + -archy
However, I am fascinated by a recurring and often emotional insistence on the "irresponsibility" and invalidity of theories of ancient gynarchy or matriarchy.