from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. One half of a shutter made in two parts for closing a porthole.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. Nautical, one of the two parts (called upper and lower half-ports) into which is divided a shutter having a semicircular hole to fit round a gun, and serving to close a port in a ship.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.