from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A small knobbed structure in some two-winged insects, one of a pair that are flapped rapidly and function as accelerometers to maintain stability in flight.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. either of the rudimentary hind wings of dipterous insects; used for maintaining equilibrium during flight


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.