from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun An organlike keyboard instrument that produces tones with free metal reeds actuated by air forced from a bellows.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun One of the forms of the reed-organ (which see).

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun A musical instrument, resembling a small organ and especially designed for church music, in which the tones are produced by forcing air by means of a bellows so as to cause the vibration of free metallic reeds. It is now made with one or two keyboards, and has pedals and stops.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun music A small keyboard instrument consisting of a series of reed pipes which sound when air is allowed to pass through them by means of a valve that opens when a key is depressed.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun a free-reed instrument in which air is forced through the reeds by bellows


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

[French, from harmonie, harmony, from Old French armonie, harmonie; see harmony.]


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word harmonium.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.