from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A small cannonlike apparatus used to fire harpoons.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. a gun used in the whale fishery for shooting the harpoon into a whale.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A gun from which a harpoon or toggle-iron may be discharged.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a cannon or similar gun that fires harpoons


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.