from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The leading establishments or designers for the creation of exclusive fashions.
- n. The creation of exclusive fashions.
- n. The fashions created.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A common term for high fashion as produced in Paris and imitated in other fashion capitals such as New York, London, and Milan.
- n. The fashion houses or fashion designers that create exclusive and often trend-setting fashions
- n. Any unique stylish design made to order for wealthy and high-status clients.
- n. French fashion
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. trend-setting fashions
French : haute, feminine of haut, high, elegant + couture, sewing.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French haute ("high, elegant") + couture ("sewing") (Wiktionary)
What I am really looking for is something more like a traditional "mullet" -- all business on top (Tom Ford) and a big old gay haute couture party down below (Olivier Theyskens).