from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A mechanical hay-fork or hay-lifting and -conveying apparatus, used to lift a quantity of hay from a wagon and place it in a loft.
  • n. These machines, commonly called hay-carriers, are used to lift, transport, and deliver hay, straw, corn-stalks, or other material in bulk or in bales. The simplest forms are hay-stackers, which employ a derrick or a cableway, supported by struts, on which a trolley carrier may run. Both employ a mechanical hayfork or sling for gathering the hay from a wagon and delivering it to a stack or to the cableway, on which it travels to any part of a large and long stack. Those used in barns employ lifting appliances and carriers traveling upon fixed tracks suspended from the roof of the barn. They are usually automatic, and gather the hay from the wagon, elevate it, transport and deliver it, and return for the next load with only slight attention from the operator. See hay-fork and stacker.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.