from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A device that converts heat energy into work.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any device which converts heat energy into mechanical work.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. any apparatus by which a heated substance, as a heated fluid, is made to perform work by giving motion to mechanism, as a hot-air engine, or a steam engine.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An engine which transforms heat into mechanical work.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any engine that makes use of heat to do work
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.