from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A semicircle.
- n. A semicircular structure or arrangement.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. semicircle
- n. A semicircular structure
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A half circle; a semicircle.
- n. A semicircular place, as a semicircular arena, or room, or part of a room.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A half-cycle or a halfcircle; a semicircle.
- n. A semicircular arena; a room or division of a room in the form of a semicircle; especially, such a room with seats in semicircular rows, or such an arrangement of seats in any room.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a plane figure with the shape of half a circle
Their courtly coffins are ranged in a kind of hemicycle, with the little coffins of the children that died before they came to the knowledge of their greatness.
It is a very short voting list (they are all in the 'hemicycle' voting on it as I write this), mostly concerning foreign affairs, so UKIP decided to abstain on most of the issues.
With a six-story spiraling ramp, the Guggenheim is a hallmark example of "hemicycle" design.
All of the discourses will be worth following, of course, but it will be interesting to read the address to the French Bishops at the hemicycle on Sunday.
In 1837 Delaroche received the commission for the great picture, 27 metres long, in the hemicycle of the award theatre of the École des Beaux Arts.
The head of the European Parliament security refusing to let the peaceful protest anywhere near the hemicycle
Anyway, further to moans and whining from MEPs like Archbishop Richard Corbett, smuggly sitting in the hemicycle at the moment having played his part in handing over yet more of our sovereignty, here is why Roll Call Votes cost money: 1. Figures provided by the Printing Unit printing of provisional version in hard copy:
And I was leading three large chickens along towards the hemicycle.
Last month the Green group were allowed people dressed up on the bridges to the hemicycle.
I have, once again, been thrown out of the hemicycle because I am a girl who is not pro the EU.