from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Biology Dissolution of cells or protein components in one species by the action of lysins or enzymes from another.
- n. Chemistry An organic reaction in which the breaking of bonds leads to the formation of ion pairs.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. In organic chemistry, the splitting of a molecule to form a pair of oppositely charged ions
- n. The disruption of blood cells by a heterolysin, or by enzymes from another species
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The destruction of cells by heterolysins. See autolysis.
Sorry, no etymologies found.