from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The formation and excretion of sweat.
- n. Sweat, especially in excessive or abnormal amounts.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The formation and excretion of sweat; perspiration.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Excretion of sweat; perspiration.
- n. Excessive perspiration; also, any skin disease characterized by abnormal perspiration.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In pathology, perspiration, especially when profuse or artificially produced; a sweating condition, or the state of being in a sweat. Also idrosis.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the process of the sweat glands of the skin secreting a salty fluid
Greek hidrōsis, sweating, from hidroun, to sweat, from hidrōs, sweat; see sweid- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From New Latin, from Ancient Greek stem of ἱδρώς (hidros, "sweat") + -sis (Wiktionary)