from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun The sacred literature of a people.
- noun The study of religious beliefs and practices.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A discourse on sacred things; the science which treats of the ancient writings and inscriptions of the Egyptians, or a treatise on that science.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun A treatise on sacred things; especially, the science which treats of the ancient writings and inscriptions of the Egyptians, or a treatise on that science.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun The comparative and historical study of
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
The best critical writers on ancient history have agreed not to throw away the cosmogony and the hierology of Greece.
But the lives of our saints, independently altogether of the momentous change in human affairs and prospects which they ushered in, have a substantial hold on history, of which neither the classical nor the northern hierology can boast.
In the Nichiren hierology, it is as though the symbolical figures in the Book of Revelation had been deified and worshipped.