from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Slang One who spends freely and extravagantly, as for luxuries or entertainment.
- n. Slang One who gambles rashly or for high stakes.
- n. Slang An organization, such as a large corporation, that spends or invests liberally or rashly.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a gambler who wagers large amounts of money, usually in a casino.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a gambler who wagers large sums
- n. one who spends lavishly and ostentatiously on entertainment
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The sight of a high roller and former world champion sitting in on a low-limit hold’em game made up of amateurs, tourists, and semipros was certainly a novelty.
In more than a decade working at Sportspages bookshop on Charing Cross Road in London, the days that made the bibliophile in me tingle with jealousy came roughly every two years when an institutional high roller would approach the counter unannounced and utter the most treasured words in the bookseller's lexicon: "I'll have one of everything, please."