from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The portion of the embryonic brain from which the metencephalon and myelencephalon develop.
- n. The lower or hind region of the adult brain comprising the pons and medulla oblongata.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The posterior part of the brain, comprising the cerebellum, pons and medulla
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The posterior of the three principal divisions of the brain, including the epencephalon and metencephalon. Sometimes restricted to the epencephalon only.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The metencephalon.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the posterior portion of the brain including cerebellum and brainstem
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Improvement in hindbrain herniation demonstrated by serial fetal magnetic resonance imaging following fetal surgery for myelomeningocele.
The reason the pupils dilate is that the eyes are the closest organ to the hindbrain, which is responsible for stimulating the sympathetic nerve system.
What follows is a kind of hindbrain-centered, vengeance-motivated morality play which finds John and Emma taking in the very villains who have (unbeknownst to them) molested and shot their daughter, operating under the assumption that their car crashed out in the woods somewhere nearby.
Even if it's not important, my hindbrain won't let up on it and so I'm liable to suddenly blurt the word out in the middle of a conversation that has nothing to do with it.
Sports taps into the violent tribal reservoir of the hindbrain, aka the lizard brain, aka the part in the back suggesting that the solution to any problem is to smash something.
And I don't want to put you-the-reader through what's in my hindbrain right now.
Seriously, what part of her tiny little reptilian hindbrain doesn't get it?
Absolutely the way I do it The hindbrain always knows best.
Get some distance, give the hindbrain time to poke at the idea while you work on something else.
Reversal of hindbrain herniation after maternal-fetal surgery for myelomeningocele subsequently impacts on brain stem function.