from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A four-sided roof having sloping ends and sides.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A roof formed from inclined, planar ends and sides, joined at their edges to form hips, the longer sides forming a ridge at the top
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a roof having sloping ends and sloping sides. See Hip, n., 2., and Hip, v. t., 3.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A roof the ends of which rise immediately from the wall-plates with the same inclination to the horizon as its other two sides. Also called hipped roof. See cut on following page.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a roof having sloping ends as well as sloping sides
Sorry, no etymologies found.