from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- interj. Hey, hullo
- n. A cry of "hollo"
- v. To cry "hollo"
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- interj. Ho there; stop; attend; hence, a loud cry or a call to attract attention; a halloo.
- intransitive v. To call out or exclaim; to halloo.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Ho there! hello! an exclamation to some one at a distance, in order to call attention, or in answer to one who hails: like halloo, holla, and hello, interj.
- To call out, cry out, or shout, in order to call attention, or in answer to some one who hails, or in play, or as an expression of pain.
- To urge or call by shouting.
- n. The cry “Hollo!”
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. encourage somebody by crying hollo
- v. utter a sudden loud cry
- n. a very loud utterance (like the sound of an animal)
- v. cry hollo
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Shakespeare was the first to set down the ancestor word hollo, when he used it in his play Titus Andronicus: “Hollo, what storm is this?”
I was even whistling to myself as I loitered past the end of Hay Hill, and then my roving eye chanced to fall on a certain lighted window, and I bore up short, thinking hollo, what's this?
There was an edge to the soft voice, and I thought, hollo, is someone's piggy carcase aglow with jealous passion for our tiny poppet?
What it is doin 'sittin' yonder, I cannae - but, hollo!
And as our eyes met through the cigarette smoke I thought, hollo, this is another of those momentous encounters.
"Rugby and Football" ... hollo, here we were again, though, and the hairs rose on my neck as I read:
Yet, even above the clatter of their hoofs did the incorrigible Nanty hollo out the old ballad —
You would have heard me hollo my own new ballad with a voice should have reached to Berwick.
In the eyes of these owners of Kenya any attempt to empower the hollo polloi would be akin to sharpening the very knife whose blades they will be forced to kiss.
This furious and raving invocation was suddenly interrupted by a distant sound, resembling a hollo, from the gorge of the ravine.