from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several deciduous trees of the genus Ostrya, especially O. virginiana of eastern North America, having unisexual flowers grouped in catkins and fruit clusters resembling hops.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A tree of the species Ostrya virginiana
- n. Its wood.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. an American tree of the genus Ostrya (Ostrya Virginica) the American ironwood; also, a European species (Ostrya vulgaris).
- n. See under Hop.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The American ironwood, Ostrya Virginica: so called from the resemblance of the inflated involucre to the fruit of the hop.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of several trees resembling hornbeams with fruiting clusters resembling hops
From the resemblance of the fruit to hops. See hornbeam (Wiktionary)