from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Upstate New York, Northern Pennsylvania, & Western New England See shivaree. See Regional Note at shivaree.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of horn.
- n. The activity of blowing the horn of a train
- n. The appearance of the Moon when increasing, or in the form of a crescent.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Appearance of the moon when increasing, or in the form of a crescent.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The appearance of the crescent moon.
- n. A mock serenade with tin horns and other discordant instruments, performed either in humorous congratulation, as of a newly married couple, or as a manifestation of public disapproval, as of some obnoxious person.
- n. Public proclamation by the blowing of a horn; specifically, same as letters of horning.
- n. See horn, n., 4 .
Very interesting that our Member of Parliament seems to think spending every waking hour in horning is more important than being in Parliament.
You have made it perfectly clear that you don't want us "horning" in on the week nights and that you don't like company on the weekends because that is your only time with her and that is when your friends come over.
If you want to comment upon what I say, please do me the courtesy of actually reading it, avoiding shoe-horning your own personal axe to grind into it and maybe not coming over quite so patronisingly. on March 2, 2010 at 8: 49 pm inspectorgadget
Cara scanned the car for signs of irritation that she was horning in, but no one looked annoyed.
So now the politicians are horning in and deciding how much a person can earn?
Pendleton Woolen Mills, known for colorful blankets and Western apparel, says the rodeo is horning in on its Pendleton trademark by using it in a way that could confuse consumers.
Do you find yourself shoe-horning unwilling characters in a preplanned plot, or do you just wing it?
And you have to have time together without the entire Kardashian family horning in.
You'll get used to me shoe-horning Gene Vincent in at every opportunity: "Brand New Beat" - Gene Vincent Well it was in 1959 when he recorded it.
"This ain't business, so don't you come horning in," Liverpool informed him.