from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Any of various edible carangid fishes of the genus Trachurus, especially T. trachurus of eastern Atlantic waters.
- noun Any of several tunas or related fishes.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun One of several fishes more or less nearly related to the mackerel.
- noun In Sydney, Australia, Auxis ramsayi, of the family Scombridæ; in New Zealand, Trachurus trachurus, which is the same fish as the horse-mackerel of England.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun A
large fish; variously the Australian bonito (Sarda australis), the pilot fish(Naucrates ductor), or the jack mackerel(genus Trachurus).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a California food fish
- noun largest tuna; to 1500 pounds; of mostly temperate seas: feed in polar regions but breed in tropics
- noun large elongated compressed food fish of the Atlantic waters of Europe
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.