from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A winglike structure attached to the hull of a boat that raises all or part of the hull out of the water when the boat is moving forward, thus reducing drag.
- n. A boat equipped with hydrofoils. Also called hydroplane.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A wing attached to the hull of a ship that raises it out of the water when travelling at speed and thus reduces drag.
- n. A vessel equipped with such a device.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a speedboat that is equipped with winglike structures that lift it so that it skims the water at high speeds
- n. a device consisting of a flat or curved piece (as a metal plate) so that its surface reacts to the water it is passing through
However, by that time everybody had got used to the term hydrofoil, and nobody seemed to realize what a "wing-boat" was, so in the end the Språkråd voted to adopt hydrofoil as the officially recognized term.
So this rocket powered super-fkn-hydrofoil is jinking and jagging up the FKN hudson river, with flares and shit firing off the side that distract incoming shoulder mounted heat seeking missiles that are FKN flying about like rain and then FKN * BANG!!!!
Other than private motorboat, the ferry and the hydrofoil are the best options for touring the lake and its many attractions.
The controversial "hydrofoil" suits are to be banned next year.
Super-Hot-Assassinette is pre-loaded into a FKN special cannon that like totally takes up the whole FKN bow of the rocket-powered super hydrofoil.
A FKN Submarine surfaces in New York Harbor and ejects a super-hydrofoil that has a FKN rocket strapped to it.
In a whole afternoon: Take a hydrofoil (buy your tickets from the office on the waterfront) for the 45-minute trip over to Capri and book a table for lunch at the best restaurant on the island, La Capannina at Via delle Botteghe 12-14 (Tel: +39 081 837 0732).
We ventured farther away, visiting the Great Wall of China with Harry and even making a quick trip to Macao in a hydrofoil with Harry.
Although slower than the hydrofoil, the ferry runs more frequently check seasonal timetables: tel. 800-551-801 or 031-579-211; both services make stops in Como, Bellagio, Varenna and Menaggio.
A woman seated behind us on the hydrofoil coming back asked her seatmate if he'd seen these "disgusting sandwiches" and went on to state that anyone who eats them should just "take a gun and shoot themselves through the head".