from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Any of a set of six functions related, for a real or complex variable x, to the hyperbola in a manner analogous to the relationship of the trigonometric functions to a circle, including.
- noun The hyperbolic sine, defined by the equation sinh x = 1/2 (ex − e−x).
- noun The hyperbolic cosine, defined by the equation cosh x = 1/2 (ex + e−x).
- noun The hyperbolic tangent, defined by the equation tanh x = sinh x/cosh x.
- noun The hyperbolic cotangent, defined by the equation coth x = cosh x/sinh x.
- noun The hyperbolic secant, defined by the equation sech x = 1/cosh x.
- noun The hyperbolic cosecant, defined by the equation csch x = 1/sinh x.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun mathematics A
functionthat is derived from some arithmetic operations on the exponential functionwith base eand the inverse function, and was named after the corresponding similar trigonometric function.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word hyperbolic function.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.