from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A succulent annual (Mesembryanthemum crystallinum) native to southern Africa, having white or pink flowers, fleshy leaves, and stems covered with glistening papillae.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a succulent annual, Carpobrotus edulis, of the stone plant family, having pale pink flowers and fleshy leaves covered with glistening hairs
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A plant (Mesembryanthemum crystallinum), sprinkled with pellucid, watery vesicles, which glisten like ice. It is native along the Mediterranean, in the Canaries, and in South Africa. Its juice is said to be demulcent and diuretic; its ashes are used in Spain in making glass.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A plant of the genus Mesembryanthemum, the M. crystallinum, belonging to the natural order Ficoideæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. Old World annual widely naturalized in warm regions having white flowers and fleshy foliage covered with hairs that resemble ice
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.