from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A gear, wheel, or roller interposed between two similar parts to convey motion from one to the other without change in speed or direction of motion.
- n. See idle pulley.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. a gear wheel placed between two others, to transfer motion from one to the other without changing the direction of revolution.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A wheel (C, fig. 1) placed between two others (A and B) for the purpose of transferring the motion from one axis to the other without change of direction; a carrier-wheel.
- n. A wheel that performs a duty other than the transmission of power, as the preservation of a strain on a belt, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a pulley on a shaft that presses against a guide belt to guide or tighten it
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.